The Charles Square (Karlovo náměstí in Czech) is a square in the New Town. Originally a cattle market, the square was founded by Emperor Charles IV as one of the main centres of the New Town. It is the largest enclosed square in Prague and one of the largest in Europe. The New Town Hall (Novoměstská radnice), which served to its purpose up to the year 1784, was built between the years 1377 and 1418. Renovated in 1905, the town hall today is used for administrative purposes and cultural and social events, such as exhibitions. Another attractions are the Baroque Church of Saint Ignatius (Chrám svatého Ignáce) completed in 1670 by Carlo Lurago and the Emause Monastery (Emauzský klášter) founded in 1347. Its extraordinary series of frescos in the cloister are the largest collection of medieval wall paintings outside Italy. Since the mid-19th century the Charles Square has been a park. Today, it is surrounded by busy roads but with its many statues of Czech writers, scientists and artists, it is still a nice place to sit and relax.
Learn about the Old Town Square.