Church of Saint Adalbert

 church of saint adalbert

The Church of Saint Adalbert (Kostel svatého Vojtěcha in Czech) is a two-aisled Gothic church in the New Town. It stands on a small square and it gave the name to the whole part of the New Town, called „Vojtěšská čtvrť“ (Adalbert quarter).

The first mention of the church is from 1318. Its north, left aisle was probably originated at the beginning of the 14th century. The south, main part was built up shortly after the foundation of New Town by Emperor Charles IV. Like many other Gothic churches of Prague, also this one went through a major Baroque reconstruction, which was carried out in 1671-1693. The Sanctus turret on the roof ridge of this church is also worth mentioning. After that the church was consecrated again by Bishop Jan Dlouhoveský. From 1874 till 1875 the church presbytery was adjusted back to Gothic style whilst other works were carried out.

The church of Saint Adalbert together with the rectory building and the belfry make an interesting complex of historical properties. The surrounding housing left sufficient area around the buildings. The memory of the old Adalbert quarter was preserved this way with dignity.

The 30 metres high double-floor belfry is located to the north-east of the church, on the site of a former cemetery, which surrounded the church. The cemetery was abandoned on 1 June 1786 because of a regulation that prohibited burials beside Prague parish churches. The cemetery wall was demolished as late as 1877 and then the site was planted with trees.

The belfry building was completed in 1539 as the memorial tablet mentions. Since then it has been reconstructed several times as the larger Baroque windows on the second floor demonstrates. The new roof – octahedral bulbous dome with lantern, finial and cross on its top – was installed in 1709.

The belfry has two bells – Vojtěch (Adalbert) from 1540 and Ludmila from 1545. In the lantern there is one more bell from 1611 and two cimbalos, both were made by Antonín Schӧnfeldt in the Old Town of Prague in 1706.

source wikipedia

Learn about Church of Our Lady Victorious.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *