The Church of the Holy Spirit (Ghost) in the Old Town of Prague is located on the border of Josefov, between the streets Široká, Dušní and Elišky Krásnohorské. In the past it was also called the church of God’s Mercy.
It was founded in 1346 as a Gothic single-aisle building with an oblong presbytery and prismatic tower by the north side. Originally there was a Benedictine convent next to the church. During the Hussite wars it was plundered and the buildings sold to various owners. In 1589 the church was acquired by the Benedictine convent at the Basilica of Saint George in Hradčany. The church burned out in 1689 and was rebuilt in Baroque style. It especially applied to the vaults and the windows. Only the penthouse by the north side of the church has been quite well preserved in its original appearance. The typical architecture of the middle era of the Luxembourg Gothic style is also remarkable from the point of view of historical urbanisation.
The steeple, which was built from the rubble stone, stands on the north side of the church, close to the presbytery. It was adjusted in 1807 and today is 35.5 metres high. It is accessible from the vestry hall. It has four floors. The basement and the second floor are of Gothic style, the other parts were reconstructed in Baroque style, including the dome which was completed according to the plans of the court builder Ignác Alois Palliardi. The Gothic part of the steeple has its corners strengthened by ashlars, the east first floor forefront also has a Gothic window with hewed window flanging. There is only one bell preserved in the belfry. It was made in 1706 by Mikuláš Löwa. The other two beams are currently empty. The bell rope is long and it leads as far as to the vestry. The church of the Holy Spirit also has a little Sanctus steeple on its roof. This steeple was put up in 1833 when it was reconstructed using the original plans.
In the interior there is a Gothic statuary of Pietà from the workshop of Peter Parler, dating before 1380, a painting of St Joseph by J. J. Heinisch, a late Gothic statue of St. Anne from the beginning of the 16th century, busts of St. Wenceslas and St. Adalbert from the 16th century and other valuable items. The main altar was originally made for the Church of Holy Cross, which used to stand not far away from here, next to the Church of Saint Simon and Jude, but was disestablished and later demolished in the 19th century.